Summer and sunshine. Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Our family loves being together in the summer. Camping trips, swimming pools, family vacations, and day trips! Hold your snow cone high, sweet friends. Summer is a time to revisit the places of our childhoods and make memories with our families. What better time to bond with one another and reach the hearts of our littles? I have big love for June and July.
Summer evenings and rainy days lend themselves to movie nights both indoors and out! If you’ve read this blog for any amount of time, you may have discovered my love for books and words. Many of my favorite movies for families revolve around the storyline of a great literary classic or a children’s book!
These ten movies have truly enjoyable storylines for moms, dads, and even those siblings in the tween and teen years. Better yet? They are wholesome flicks with leading boys and girls of honorable character. Disclaimer: I cannot promise perfection. This is Hollywood, after all. For the most part, you’ll find that these films are top-notch in the family friendly department.
Spread the sleeping bags in the living room. Pop the popcorn. Project these onto screens in the backyard. Serve with watermelon. Voila!
1) Pippi Longstocking: She will captivate your entire family! This movie is well suited for every age, gender, and interest! Pippi lives each moment to the fullest and her good heart leads to much spreading of joy and a bit of mischief! This is the perfect movie to kick off the summer season with your tribe.
2) Because of Winn Dixie: If ever a story was rich in characters, this one has nailed it! I recommend this book for elementary school-aged children and beyond. India Opal and her daddy, The Preacher build meaningful friendships with a very diverse group of lovable, unique personalities in this movie. No spoilers here, but the true star of the movie is a rather furry friend. Be sure to sing along at the end! Prepare for warm fuzzies, nostalgia, laughs, and full hearts!
3) Homeward Bound: This is the 90s version of Far From Home. The entire family can appreciate the adventures of a prissy cat, mischievous pup, and wise dog. Keep your eyes peeled for porcupines, though. Ouch!!
4) Mary Poppins: Few people “get me” like Mary Poppins. You know? No, really. Every child needs to learn that a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down. This is basic life stuff. This movie has a few slow scenes. Skip them if you must. The other scenes are vibrant in color, music, costumes, and characters! My children adore Bert, the Chimney Sweep. I bet you will too!
5) Where the Red Fern Grows: Listen friends, both of my parents were raised on farms. My grandparents have all owned hunting dogs. My first dogs were beagles. My first word was “pup.” I have a special place in my heart for grandpas with coon dogs. I may be biased, but I’m rather confident you will love this boy and his humble adventures.
6) Ramona and Beezus: This movie melts my heart. I cannot fully express the happiness in this gem. You have to experience these very different sisters for yourself! You’ll be dancing by the movie’s wedding scene.
7) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe: We recommend reading the book as a family and then enjoying the movie together! My boys love Aslan but I love Aslan’s depiction of mercy, sacrifice, and goodness. He’ll remind you of someone. I guaurantee it!
8) Little Women: Every little girl should meet the March sisters once or one hundred times. If you don’t watch it this summer, be sure to enjoy it at Christmastime! The snowy scenes and familiar carols set the tone for a season of goodwill and cheer!
9) Annie: The show tunes, the historical fiction, the storyline that includes President FDR, and the friendship between orphans will bring smiles to your entire family. You’ll be singing in the shower. I promise!
10) Peter Pan: We love both Hook and Mary Martin’s Peter Pan. Hook is best suited for big kids while Mary Martin’s Peter Pan is perfect for those a bit younger. Peter Pan is one of those tales that appeals to each of us for various reasons. It’s the perfect blend of action, adventure, Pirates, and catchy tunes!
May your summer be abundant in the sharing of hearts and popsicles!
From my heart to yours,
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/courtne5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php73/pear') in /home/courtne5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41